The importance of gut health is becoming more and more clear with every study that comes out. Maintaining the health of the good bacteria living inside our stomachs and colons has a lot to do with how we feel, and how easily we can fight off potential diseases and health issues. One way we do that is through the help of high quality vitamins and probiotics. The other way, is through the foods we eat, such as sauerkraut. Both are highly important and work hand in hand to help us maintain our gut health.
Natural Sources of Probiotics
Probiotics are one of the easiest ways to introduce good bacteria in our gut, that may have been lost due to sickness, antibiotic use, or poor diet.
Probiotics can be found naturally in many foods including:
Not everyone enjoys fermented foods, and let’s face it, yogurt can get old if you eat it everyday. If you need supplements to fill any gaps in your diet, try probiotics by NOW Foods or Thorne Research.
However, if you’re feeling adventurous (and hungry), why not try a recipe that incorporates these high probiotic foods, such as sauerkraut? Here’s one we’ll think you’ll love, and is perfect for those upcoming summer barbecues!
Brats & Sauerkraut Recipe
- 6 bratwurst links
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 15 oz jar sauerkraut, drained
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 16 oz of lager style beer
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 6 tsp spicy brown mustard
- Cut the onion into thin slices and heat the oil in a large skillet. Add onions and sausages and cook until browned slightly.
- In a bowl, mix together the sauerkraut, brown sugar, and lager. Pour the mixture over the sausages and onions.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sausages are cooked through.
- Spread rolls with mustard, and add a sausage and a bit of sauerkraut and onions to each.
How do you cook with sauerkraut and other fermented foods? We’d love to hear your recipe secrets! Tell us in the comments below!
Photo by Jae Park on Unsplash