I’ve never been a big candy fan. Even as a child, I was more interested in cookies and ice cream rather than overly sweet hard or chewy candies. So when I was first offered a piece of crystallized ginger I was expecting to hate it (even though I accepted it to be polite). Much to my surprise though, I not only liked it – I LOVED it! So much, that I started a quest to make it for myself.
Benefits of Crystallized Ginger
The many benefits of ginger root aren’t a secret. Mankind has been using it for thousands of years for all kinds of reasons. On top of it being a rockstar for your health, it’s also incredibly delicious. Which is why crystallized ginger may be the most ingenious thing we’ve ever come up with. We’ve taken something with incredible health benefits, and turned it into a delicious treat! Just a few of those benefits include:
- Relief from Nausea and Upset Stomach
- May Prevent Motion Sickness
- Promotes a Healthy Internal Stress Response
- Supports Healthy Digestion
- Excellent Source of Antioxidants
- Promotes a Healthy Cardiovascular System
Crystallized ginger candy is wonderful because you can take it with you wherever you go, so it’s available whenever you need it (or just want it!). It’s also pretty easy to make. All you need is ginger root, sugar and water!
Crystallized Ginger Candy Recipe
- 1 ½ Cups Filtered Water
- 1 ½ Cups Organic Sugar (plus extra for coating)
- 1 Cup Peeled Fresh Ginger (sliced into ½ inch pieces)
- Combine the water and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring regularly.
- Add the ginger pieces and reduce heat to low, allowing the mixture to simmer for 20 minutes.
- When tender, transfer the ginger pieces to a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, roll the ginger pieces in a bowl of sugar to coat.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three months.
Plain crystallized ginger candy is awesome, but don’t get shy about jazzing it up! Chop it up and add it to ice cream, top your cookies with it, or serve it with your next cup of tea! You can also try adding some orange or lemon zest to the mix by sprinkling it in the saucepan with the ginger. Other tips – coat with powdered sugar, or cocoa powder works too!
Do you make your own crystallized ginger candy? Share your favorite recipe in the comments below!
Photo source: pixabay.com