By far, the easiest way to pack optimum nutrition into one single meal, is with smoothies. However, not all smoothies are created equal. Some are filled with unnecessary sugar and fat. Seriously, you might as well eat a piece of cake for breakfast! But, if you pay attention to what you’re putting into your smoothie, you can create a satisfying and delicious way to kick start your day, that will also give your immune system a powerful boost. Read ahead to find out how to use green superfoods to kickstart your health.
What is a Superfood?
Dictionary.com defines a superfood as “a food considered exceptionally good for one’s health and for boosting the immune system owing to its naturally high content of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, or omega-3 fatty acids.” Here is a list of foods that fall under that category:
- Dark Leafy Greens (Kale, Spinach, Collards, Swiss Chard)
- Legumes (Peas, Lentils, Beans, Peanuts)
- Berries (Raspberries, Blueberries, Cranberries, Blackberries)
- Nuts (Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, hemp etc)
- Seeds (Flax, Sunflower, Pumpkin, Hemp, Chia)
- Probiotics (Yogurt, Kefir, Supplement Powders)
- Ginger root powder (fresh – not crystallized ginger)
Incorporating superfood into your daily routine is surprisingly easier than you might think. Here are some easy healthy smoothie recipes for you to try!
Morning Sunrise Green Smoothie
- 1 cup of organic kale
- ⅓ cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 scoop Jugo Verde Greens Powder from Vibrant Health
- 1 large banana
- ¼ cup strawberries
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup orange juice (not from concentrate)
- ¼ cup of ice
- Using a blender, mix together kale, banana, strawberries, ginger and juice.
- Add ice and yogurt and pulse till ice is broken down.
- Add the Jugo Verde Greens Powder and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Superfood Blueberry Hemp Smoothie
- 1 medium banana
- 1 scoop ProGreens Probiotic Powder by Nutricology
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 cup almond milk
- Using a blender, combine fruit, oats and hemp seeds and mix well.
- Add almond milk and ProGreen Probiotic Powder, mix well.
- Serve immediately.
If you’re just making a simple protein shake or a superfoods drink mix in the morning to start your day, keep the ingredients simple. Just try Perfect Food Super Green Powder by Garden of Life or Fruits & Greens Daily Drink by Nutri-Dyn, add water, blend, and drink!
Smoothies are the perfect to get your daily dose of superfood. What are some of your favorite superfood smoothie recipes? Let us know in the comments below.
Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash