We’re working our way through the diet busting holidays, on our way to what we hope will be a healthy new year. So today, we’re thinking of ways to stay on track during the holidays when hunger strikes, and cookies, cakes and creamy dips are all around us. Having a healthy holiday snack on hand can make all the difference in the world. Here are some of our favorites!
Go for the Protein
This is sort of a general, year-round rule, but it’s particularly important during the holidays when sugar and carb temptations are all around us. Healthy holiday snacks don’t have to be boring either. Check out these fun ideas that will get the whole family on the protein train.
- Cheese Stick Snowmen – This adorable holiday snack idea is not only cute, but seriously, who doesn’t enjoy a good cheese stick? Add these to your child’s lunch box, or serve them at your next holiday party!
- Egg Snowman – Speaking of snowmen, how cute are these hard boiled egg snowmen? Packed with protein (and super cute) these are a no brainer for your next holiday party, or anytime you need a holiday snack (and a smile).
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Protein Bar – When everyone around you is munching on christmas cookies, reach for one of these protein-packed bars from Quest Nutrition. It’s a satisfying holiday snack option, and look, you still get to eat chocolate!
- Chocolate Mint UltraLean Bars – These bars by Nutra Biogenesis contain 9 grams of protein and help regulate your blood sugar. Stock up on these!
- Assorted Nuts – A handful of nuts is also a great, nutritious holiday treat! Along with healthy fats and fiber, 100g of peanuts, for example, can contain up to 25.8g of protein! Other healthy nuts include almonds, pistachios, cashews, walnuts, and hazelnuts. To get the best of both worlds (savory and sweet), try this combination blend of various nuts and berries by NOW Foods – a very wholesome snack.
Also Choose Veggies & Fruit
Fruits and veggies are always a great choice when you aren’t sure about a holiday snack. Just be sure to avoid the creamy dips and sugary fondue that often follows them around at parties. Here are some healthy ways to eat right, and stay in the holiday spirit.
- Strawberry Santas – Seriously, who would say no to these cuties?
- Watermelon Christmas Trees – Festive and delicious, as long as you can find a watermelon in season.
- Grinch Kabobs – The kids will love to help makes these, and they’ll love eating them anymore. The tiny marshmallows are a big draw, and just a few one hurt your attempt at a healthy holiday snack.
- Strawberries and Caramel Sea Salt Bars – If you just have to have a little caramel goodness with your fruit during the holiday season, consider this. Take a handful of ripe strawberries and pair them with a protein and carb balanced caramel and sea salt bar, like this one from Metagenics. Have your fruit, and your sweetness too!
What are some of the ways you stay on track with your holiday snacks? Tell us in the comments below!
Photo by Rachael Gorjestani on Unsplash