Many people are choosing to live a low carb lifestyle these days, and for good reason. Respected research suggests that cutting carbs can help you lose weight fast, keep it off, and support a healthy heart and blood pressure. Low carb diets can be restrictive, but with a little planning and some kitchen creativity, this lifestyle can be both delicious and easy to maintain.
To prove it to you, we’ve cooked up a delicious steak salad recipe loaded with veggies, healthy fats, and tender strips of sirloin steak. Try it for yourself and seek how delicious living low-carb can be!
Steak Salad Recipe
This recipe takes about 20 minutes and will feeds 2-3 adults at mealtime.
- 6 cups Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes, halved
- 10 oz sirloin steak
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- ½ a yellow onion
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
Zesty Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients:
- 8 oz blue cheese dressing
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ high quality mayonnaise.
- 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice (or the juice of half a lemon)
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 dashes of your favorite hot sauce (like Frank’s, Cholula, or Sriracha)
- In a tall, cylindrical jar combine all ingredients (except ½ of your blue cheese which will be added in later.
- Mix together with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add in the rest of your blue cheese and that’s it!
- This dressing will keep in your fridge for about 2 weeks provided your ingredients were all fresh at the time of preparation. It’s always best to label your homemade sauces and dressings to keep your fridge organized and efficient.
Make it Yourself
- Wash and chop your romaine, drying it on clean towels or with a salad spinner. Place it in a bowl large enough to hold your salad when tossed.
- Peel your hard boiled eggs and halve them.
- Slice your avocado into cubes.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a saute pan on medium low and add your onions, continue to cook until caramelized and cooled to room temperature.
- Add all ingredients to your salad bowl.
- To cook your steak heat a cast iron skillet to high before adding in the other 2 tbsp of butter. Cook your steak for 90 seconds on each side and place on a plate to rest for several minutes before slicing.
- Add your steak to your salad, drizzle with your zesty blue cheese dressing and serve immediately.
Add Protein to a Low-Carb Lifestyle
This steak salad recipe is loaded with protein, fiber, vitamins and healthy fats. However, some days you don’t have time to cook, or you may have neglected to meal prep at the beginning of the week. If that’s the case, quality protein supplements can fill in your nutritional gaps.
We recommend Whey Factors Protein from Natural Factors which contains natural whey proteins, digestive enzymes and amino acids. This supplement powder offers complete nutrition to support your low-carb lifestyle. Another high quality source for low-carb, paleo protein is Dynamic Paleo Protein from Nutri-Dyn. This protein powder contains natural beef protein as well as high essential amino acid content with a delicious chocolate flavor.
What are your go-to low-carb recipes? Share your favorites with us in the comments section below.
Photo by Amirali Mirhashemian on Unsplash