Chicken is a high-protein, low fat, and low-calorie summer weight loss option when it comes to preparing healthy and delicious meals. Try these 3 low-fat chicken recipes we know you’ll love!
Vietnamese Summer Chicken Recipe
Low-fat slow-cooker Vietnamese pulled chicken is healthy and flavorful, and one of our most well-loved chicken recipes to prepare for the summer time. A poached chicken breast, drowned in a savory Vietnamese sauce known as nuoc cham, is left in your slow cooker to tenderize, while you take the day off.
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 shallots, very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2-4 Thai chiles, very thinly sliced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 4 lbs skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 cups julienned or grated carrots
- ½ cup lime juice
- ⅓ cup sliced fresh mint
- ⅓ cup sliced fresh basil
This recipe is a gift that keeps on giving beyond its taste and nutrition content. You can even enjoy the leftover chicken in three different ways for upcoming meals.
- Ladled with the broth over rice noodles.
- Added with vegetables on a sandwich.
- With mayonnaise to make a delicious chicken salad.
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs are the perfect appetizer for picnics, graduation parties, and just about any outing during the summer months, from casual to classy. They’re simple, delicious, and require very little cleanup. Also, for those who don’t like following complicated recipes, they only have a few ingredients to keep in mind.
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, drained
Mix and marinate all the ingredients (except for the skewers, which are the used to grill the food.)
Marinated Chicken Fajitas
Marinated Chicken Fajitas are a healthy finger food that can be prepared on the stovetop with a grill pan, or outside over a charcoal or gas grill. Dark Mexican beer is crucial for the marinade, because it becomes sweet and adopts a molasses-type flavor when cooked. The chicken doesn’t need a long marinade to become flavored, so let the strips of chicken sit for an hour while you prepare the rest of your meal.
- 3/4 cup dark Mexican beer
- 2 tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut across grain into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Spritzes of cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- Salsa (optional)
- Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
Marinate the ingredients for an hour and then grill and serve with flour tortillas.
Which low-fat chicken recipes will you cook this summer? Share your thoughts (and cooking tips) in the comments below!
Photo by Charles Koh on Unsplash