Thanksgiving may be a big day for all the turkey eaters out there, but that doesn’t mean us vegetarians have to miss out on all the fun. In fact, I’d say it’s our time to shine, with creative meatless Thanksgiving recipes that will have you coming back for seconds… and maybe even thirds. Here are some favorites that you should totally try this holiday season!
Tofurky and Stuffing Recipe
First, let’s start with the basics. Your main course has to be the “Tofurky,” but there is a fine line between tender, burst in your mouth flavor, and dried out, no-taste tofu. So follow this no-fail recipe and watch the clock while it’s baking!
- 5 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed to remove moisture
- 2 tbsp fresh sage (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (minced)
- 2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1 bag herb stuffing
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely chopped)
- ½ celery (chopped)
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms (chopped)
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Once the tofu has been well pressed with a cheesecloth to remove excess moisture, transfer it in batches to a food processor. Blend until creamy.
- Transfer the creamed tofu to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the thyme, sage, garlic powder, onion powder, and poultry seasoning until well combined. Cover the bowl and chill the tofu for at least three hours.
- While the tofu is chilling, make the stuffing. Pour 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a medium frying pan and add the onions, celery and mushroom. Saute for about 5 minutes stirring frequently, or until tender. Transfer veggies to a large mixing bowl and stir together the stuffing mix, vegetable broth and red wine until well combined.
- Line a small casserole dish with parchment paper. Pull the prepared tofu from the refrigerator and scoop ¾ onto the parchment paper. Using your fingers, start to form a log shape, building up the side walls but leaving the top open. Spread the stuffing mixture along the bottom of the tofu log. Lastly, take the last ¼ of the tofu mixture and carefully form it around the stuffing mixture to build the top of the tofu log.
- Make the marinade. Whisk together red wine, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and soy sauce. Using a baster, paint the marinade over the tofu log until well covered.
- Place the casserole dish on top of a baking sheet and pop it into the oven on 350º for 90 minutes, checking every 15 minutes to baste with the marinade.
Now that you have the main course taken care of, it’s time to start thinking about the side. Here are some meatless Thanksgiving favorites from the web that will go perfectly with your Tofurky.
- Julia Child’s Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Spinach and Gruyere Souffle
- Best Green Bean Casserole
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Warm Honey Glaze
So what are some of your favorite meatless Thanksgiving recipes? Tell us in the comments below!