Are you looking to change up your diet to feel better and reduce health issues? The Mediterranean diet might just be the perfect choice for you. This month, during National Mediterranean Diet Month, we’re exploring what’s great about this ancient way of eating, and you how can adopt it into your lifestyle to reap all the health benefits that come with it.
What is a Mediterranean Diet?
The Mediterranean diet primarily focuses on plant-based foods, such as fruits and veggies, along with whole grains, nuts and legumes. Heart healthy olive oil is encouraged to replace other fats such as butter, and plenty of spices such as health powerhouse, turmeric are used during cooking. High quality vitamins and supplements from trusted brands such as Gaia Herbs, Standard Process, or Banyan Botanicals are also highly encouraged for balance.
Health Benefits of a Mediterranean Diet
First and foremost, a mediterranean diet is great for your heart. But, aside from that, this diet focuses on whole health and can have tremendous benefits for your entire body. Such as:
- Brain Health – May prevent dementia and cognitive decline.
- Blood Sugar Control – Great for managing diabetes.
- Strengthen Bones – May prevent osteoporosis.
- May Protect Against Cancer – Studies have shown a decreased risk in certain cancers such as breast, prostate, and colon.
A Mediterranean diet sounds pretty good right about now, doesn’t it? Good news, it’s also delicious! Here’s a flavorful, satisfying meal that we found on TheMediterraneanDish.com, that you can try tonight that will convince you even more that this diet is right for you.
Mediterranean Roast Chicken with Turmeric
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into half moons
- 6 pieces bone in, skin on chicken (chicken legs or breasts, or a combination)
- 2 oranges, unpeeled, sliced
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl or deep dish, mix together the first six ingredients to make the marinade (olive oil, white wine, orange juice, lime juice, mustard and brown sugar).
- In a small bowl, mix together the spices: turmeric, garlic powder, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper. Next, add about half of the spice mix to the liquid marinade. Mix to combine.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry and generously season with the remainder of the spice mix. Be sure to lift the chicken skins slightly and apply some of the spice mix underneath the skin.
- Add the seasoned chicken and the remaining ingredients to the large bowl of marinade. Work the chicken well into the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 475° and transfer the chicken (skin side up) along with the marinade and everything else to a large baking pan. Arrange everything in one layer. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and more brown sugar (optional).
- Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the chicken skin has nicely browned. Internal chicken temperature should be 170°.
Serve this dish with rice, or eat it as is.
Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash