Egg pie is a wonderful dessert that resembles egg custard to some extent. Though this delicious sweet dish was originated in Philippines, now it is a favorite of many people all over the world. This food is also available in some leading bakeries, but homemade egg pie recipe has its own charm over the food-lovers. Therefore, this amazing recipe is shared below for satisfying the interest of the people who love to cook new items, specially the sweet dishes.
Preparation time needed – 10 minutes
Cooking time of the pie – Maximum 40 minutes
Therefore, the total time for completion of egg pie – 50 minutes
Ingredients needed for making egg pie:
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of unsalted butter that is cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoon full granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of common salt
- ½ cup of water at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups of milk that is boiled and evaporated to some extent
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg whose white part and the yellow yolk are separated
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon full vanilla extract
Cooking recipe of egg pie:
- Firstly, the pie crust needs to be created by mixing well the flour, salt, baking soda and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- The butter cubes are added to this dry mixture and mixed thoroughly with a hand blender, till the butter melts and mixes well with the rest ingredients.
- Now the water is slowly added to this mixture, till a nice dough is formed and given the shape of a ball.
- This dough should be stored within the refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes, during which the dough is hardened due to chilling cold.
- Then the chilled dough balls need to be flattened enough with a rolling pin, so that each one can cover a 9-inch round baking pan.
- The flattened dough balls are again put back into refrigerator, while the pie filling is prepared.
- The already boiled milk is further heated in microwave oven for 2 minutes in high temperature.
- The contents of 3 eggs and the egg yolk of the 4th one are added together in a bowl and mixed well.
- The granulated sugar and vanilla extract are mixed well in this egg mixture and beaten well for dissolving the sugar here.
- Now the heated milk is added to this mixture of eggs and beaten continuously to make a smooth batter.
- The separated egg white is now beaten with a hand blender, till it gets a soft and foamy texture. Then it is added to the mixture of milk, sugar and eggs.
- Now the oven is preheated in 350 degree F to make it ready for baking.
- The previously prepared pie crust is taken out of the refrigerator and the milk and egg mixture is carefully poured over it to fill the whole pie surface.
- Then this pie is baked at a temperature of 325 degree F for about 35 – 40 minutes.
Now the egg pie is ready for serving when it is cooled enough. The guests are sure to be impressed with this easy and healthy egg pie recipe.