Oh Spring, how I love thee… There is something about warmer weather, budding trees, flowers and baby animals that makes me want to twirl around in a meadow – Sound of Music style. It’s also the time of year when all of us mom-folk come out of winter hiding and rejoice in outside playdates (and Spring cocktails).
Spring cocktails are so refreshing and fun. I love incorporating fresh fruits & herbs, bubbles and flavored spirits to create drinks that are as pleasant to look at as they are to drink! It’s also fun to break out something other than those red wine glasses that were in constant rotation during the winter months. Bonus points for creativity too, if you don’t own fancy stemware check out your local thrift stores and mix it up!
Strawberry & Mint Margaritas
If you’re talking about getting the girls together, margaritas are a no-brainer. But, I love to make this gal-pal favorite into a refreshing Spring cocktail by incorporating fresh strawberries and mint from my garden.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (plus extra for garnishes)
- 4-5 mint leaves
- Juice from one lime (keep the pulpy rind to rim the glasses)
- 2 teaspoons simple syrup
- 3 ounces silver tequila
- 2 ounces Grand Marnier
- 2 tablespoons raw organic sugar (for rimming the glass)
- 3 cups ice
- Good blender (I love my Ninja)
- Start by adding the strawberries, mint, lime and simple syrup to the bottom of the blender, pulse a few times to break up the fruit. Add the tequila and Grand Marnier and puree until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the ice and pulse a few times to break it up, then blend.
- Spread the sugar along the bottom of a small plate, or use a glass rimmer.
- Run the lime rind along the edge of the glass and then twist to coat in the sugar.
- Pour the margaritas into the glasses, garnish with a fresh strawberry and enjoy!
Napa Valley Fizz
I found this recipe on the Food and Wine website, and I’m obsessed! It makes me feel very sophisticated when I serve it (I have no idea why). It combines vodka with blackcurrant liqueur and grape juice to create a truly unique Spring cocktail. Have fun with your serving glasses for this one!!
Sparkling Peach Sangria
Grab the pitcher for this favorite, it’s usually one that most people can agree on, and the recipe will serve 4-6 people depending on how generous your pour is!
- 3 peaches, sliced
- 1 cup peach or apricot brandy
- 1 bottle of white wine (If you want it to be sweet, use moscato or pinot grigio – I prefer sauvignon blanc).
- 1 liter peach seltzer water, chilled
- Start lining the bottom of the pitcher with ¾ of the sliced peaches, add the brandy and muddle to bring out the flavor and juice.
- Pour the wine and seltzer water over the peach mixture, stir to mix.
- Serve in your favorite glass with ice and peaches for garnish!
I borrowed this one from Martha Stewart because we’re tight, (just kidding, I don’t know her – but, cheers Martha!) I love St. Germaine elderflower liqueur and I’m always on the lookout for new ways to use it. Martha’s recipe calls for tequila but I like to sub gin for this one. Just mix chilled gin and St. Germaine with grapefruit bitters and a grapefruit slice to garnish!
Lemon-Thyme Vodka Lemonade
Vodka, lemonade and springtime just go together. Add some fresh lemon-thyme and you’ll have a real girl-hang winner on your hands. This recipe comes from Town and Country Magazine, so even your mother-in-law would approve! It combines lemon vodka, club soda and fresh lemon-thyme simple syrup to create a truly refreshing Spring cocktail. Enjoy!
There are so many fun Spring cocktail recipes out there, honestly it’s hard to choose! There are also plenty of fun non-alcoholic options for your friends who are pregnant or don’t drink. What’s your go-to Spring cocktail? Tell us in the comments below!
Photo by Kaizen Nguyễn on Unsplash