Let’s talk for a minute about cookies. If you’re not using any excuse possible to eat cookies for breakfast, lunch and dinner, you’re really missing out! Now, obviously this is not an excuse to grab a bag of Oreos and go to town noon and night, but you can make delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, craving-some-more COOKIES that are not only good for you but may actually support your health! Let’s start with this recipe for turmeric root and ginger cookies.
This recipe is a favorite, because it’s not only delicious and good for you, but it’s also filling and very satisfying. It includes rich, creamy almond butter with a soft chewy center and a crispy, crunchy outside. Sweet crystallized ginger pieces, fresh nutmeg, cinnamon and powdered turmeric root also give it a yummy zing each time you take a bite.
Turmeric Root Benefits
Turmeric root is probably not the first ingredient you’d think of for a cookie recipe. Isn’t that the herb you use when making curry? Why yes, turmeric root is what gives curry its yellow color. It’s a wonderful tasting spice that helps bring out flavor when combined with other ingredients. It’s also an ancient medicinal herb, known for its powerful antioxidant properties. Studies show it may also promote healthy brain function!
Ginger, as well, has many potential health benefits of its own. It’s loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that can have a dramatic impact on your everyday health. It is also commonly used as a digestion aid as it calms the stomach and may decrease feelings of nausea. Some naturalists even swear by its immune boosting properties, helping to relieve symptoms associated with upper respiratory infections. Also, it’s just plain delicious!
Try This Turmeric Root & Ginger Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1 cage free egg, plus one yolk
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp golden milk powdered turmeric
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup organic crystallized ginger slices, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons, finely chopped almonds (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the fresh ginger, turmeric root, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond butter and sugar until well combined. Add the vanilla, egg and egg yolk, mix well.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the almond butter mixture, mix until well combined. Add the chopped crystallized ginger slices and gently mix in. If the mixture seems too dry, add a couple of tablespoons of milk.
- Using a large spoon, drop large scoops of the batter onto the pre-lined cookie sheet. Keep them separated by at least an inch.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Pull from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack, while still warm, sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Let cool completely and enjoy!
Try snacking on these in the morning for breakfast. They’ll give you a satisfying energy boost and other practical uses. Or, pack them in your bag for an afternoon snack when you need a quick protein pick-me-up. Either way, these quick and healthy cookies are sure to be favorites in your house! Happy eating!