Smoothies are usually my go-to breakfast food. You can pack a lot of nutrition into one glass and take it with you on your way to work, the gym, school… wherever it is that YOU head every day during the week. Until recently, I used to make the same old smoothie every morning, but after reading some research about the benefits of turmeric, I decided to mix it up a bit. The result – a turmeric root smoothie that crave the moment I wake up (well, that and coffee – let’s be real about this). Keep reading to learn more about turmeric root and this delicious smoothie recipe!
Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric probably isn’t the first ingredient you’d reach for when fixing up your morning smoothie. You’re probably thinking to yourself, isn’t that the spice used to make curry? Why yes, it is, and it doesn’t really sound like it belongs in a smoothie… but hear me out. On its own, the taste of turmeric root is bitter and pungent, BUT it has this unique way of bringing out the flavor of ingredients it’s mixed with – like fresh fruits and veggies that are the perfect additions to your smoothie! Also, the potential health benefits of turmeric root are incredible:
- Supports Healthy Blood Circulation
- May Promote Brain Health – Including Memory
- May Improve Your Mood
- Encourages Proper Digestion
- Good for Your Heart
- Acts as an Anti-Inflammatory
- Excellent Source of Antioxidants
During my research, I came across some really great ideas for creating flavorful, health-packed turmeric root smoothies. The first thing I took into consideration before starting my search was the coloring effects of turmeric root. It’s what gives curry that vibrant yellow/orange color and it will do the same thing to your smoothie.
Keeping that in mind, I looked for ingredients that would support the color, rather than fight against it. My favorites so far are, bananas, pineapple, mango, orange, carrot and ginger. I also like my smoothies really cold, so I freeze my fruit before adding it to the blender. The best part is you can switch your ingredients up depending on what’s in season and what you have on hand. Here’s the recipe for my favorite, I’m calling it the Rising Sun Turmeric Root Smoothie…
Rising Sun Turmeric Root Smoothie Recipe
- 1 medium banana (peeled and frozen)
- 2 full length carrots (washed and peeled)
- 1 cup sweet pineapple
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ½ teaspoon ground organic turmeric root
- ½ tablespoons coconut flakes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Freeze any fruit you wish to use the night before (optional). Make sure you peel the banana first before freezing, you’ll never get it off otherwise!
- Add carrots to the blender and pulse till well chopped. You may need to add a couple of tablespoons of filtered water to encourage them to bind together. Blend well before adding the fruit.
- When the carrots are smooth, add the banana and pineapple. Blend ’til mixed and there are no chunks of banana left.
- Add the turmeric root and coconut flakes, top with the fresh squeezed orange juice. Pulse several times depending on how chopped you want your coconut – the flakes add a nice texture and bit of a crunch.
- Finish up with the unsweetened almond milk. Blend till mixed and enjoy!
Have you tried turmeric root in your smoothie? Tell us about your favorite recipe in the comments below!
Photo by Osha Key on Unsplash